Dryer Fire Damage Safety in Phoenix, and throughout Maricopa and Pinal Counties
January 23, 2018
Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.linkedin.com/countserv/count/share?url=https://www.titan911.com/dryer-fire-damage-safety-in-phoenix-and-throughout-maricopa-and-pinal-counties/&format=json): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
in /home/titan911/public_html/wp-content/themes/titan-child/functions.php on line 281
In some of our previous articles, we have warned you about the possible water damage that your washing machine can cause. Today we would like to warn you about the possible fire damage that your dryer can cause.
Lint and heat are a dangerous combination in your home. With everything that we have going on in our lives, it’s no wonder that laundry and routine maintenance pile up on all of us. Dryer lint is responsible for nearly 16,000 residential fires each year. The good news is that you can prevent trouble in your laundry room with just a little education and some easy preventative maintenance.
• Have your dryer installed by a qualified professional.
• Avoid long gas or electrical connections and lengthy vent pipe runs if possible.
• Vent your dryer to the exterior of your home or apartment, according to local building code specifications.
• Choose metal vent pipes (rigid or semi-rigid corrugated style, rather than flexible plastic or spiral foil type); they are more heat-resistant and don’t accumulate lint as quickly.
• Ensure your dryer is installed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
Tips for Safe Use
• Operate your clothes dryer according to the operating instructions provided.
• Dry clothes on the lowest setting to avoid high heat that could ignite built-up lint in your dryer or exhaust vent.
• Don’t overload your dryer.
• Ensure the lint trap/filter screen is in place – never operate your clothes dryer without one.
• Make sure the area around your dryer is free from clutter like laundry, cardboard boxes, cleaning supplies and other combustible materials.
• Place other appliances such as a washer and chest or upright freezer a safe distance away.
• Never dry clothes that have been in contact with flammable liquids like paint thinner, gasoline or motor oil in a dryer.
• If you notice clothes are not drying as fast as normal, inspect your dryer and vent pipe immediately; consider a professional service call to rule out or address mechanical problems.
• Clean the lint screen or filter between every load.
• Check electrical or gas connections to ensure they are tight and clean.
• Check the exterior vent opening and ensure it opens and closes properly.
• Remove obstructions like plant growth from near the vent opening.
• Clean the exhaust vent from end to end, removing all lint and dirt.
• Have your dryer inspected and serviced by a qualified technician.
Titan Restoration of AZ hopes that these tips can help you avoid a home fire. We have seen the profound impact that fire damage can have. Should you experience a fire, we are prepared 24 hours a day to respond to your loss. Don’t hesitate to call. In addition to fire damage, we also restore homes from water, mold, wind and hail damage. For 24 hour service, please contact us immediately.