Water Damage Prevention Tips on Washing Machines
Washing machines are a major source of water damage. Titan Restoration of AZ receives numerous water losses every year caused by washing machines. Our purpose today is to provide facts about washing machine leaks, so that you can prevent these losses from occurring in your home.
A burst water supply line was the cause of over half of all water damage incidents involving washing machines.
On average, these losses caused more than $6,000 in damage.
Loss Prevention and Maintenance Tips
• Turn supply valves off when not using the washing machine.
• Install a lever-type valve that is easy to operate.
• Do not run the washing machine when the home is unoccupied.
• Leave a 3- to 4-inch gap between the back of the washing machine and the wall to avoid kinking the hose.
• Inspect the water supply line hoses every six months.
• Ensure that the connection to the valve is secure, but avoid over-tightening.
• Hand tighten first and then tighten an additional 2/3 of a turn using pliers.
• Check the hoses for cracks, kinks or blisters.
• Replace washing machine hoses every five years.
• Consider reinforced braided stainless steel hoses.
Titan Restoration hopes that this information will help you prevent water damage in your home. However, if you do experience any size of water losses, please contact us immediately. Our first class team is ready to respond to your loss 24 hours a day.